- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1 medium ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into bits
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for pan
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Heat a well-oiled cast-iron 10-or 12-inch frying pan for 5 minutes over medium heat. If you don’t have a cast-iron pan, use a nonstick pan.
- Divide the dough in half and roll the dough into a circle one inch smaller than the diameter of the pan you are using. Place the dough in the hot pan and allow it to cook until it begins to rise and the bottom starts to brown. Carefully flip the dough over with a metal spatula. Lay half the tomato slices over the dough and scatter half the cheese over the tomatoes. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to cook the pizza until the cheese has melted.
- Use a metal spatula to transfer the pizza to cutting board.
- Sprinkle the pizza with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cut into wedges and sprinkle half the basil over the wedges. Repeat for second pizza.
Pairing Suggestion: Black Box Wine
(recipe via Filippo Berio)